Monday, June 30, 2014

Borough Food Market

If you know me, you know I'm a fan of delicious food. I'd been hearing about the Borough Food Market since before I moved to London. Friends told me it's the perfect spot to spend a Saturday afternoon and to go hungry!

After the little fire I mentioned last time, I moved over to a new flat for a few weeks until my lease starts. It's right over by Tower Bridge and a 20 minute walk to Borough Market. Since I was so close, I texted a friend who's in London for the summer and we headed off to explore.

It was a bit gray outside (surprise, surprise), but the view on my walk couldn't be beat. First, Tower Bridge. It's celebrating it's 120th birthday this week. Still looking good.


Next up was the Shard. The Shard is an 87 story building, making it the tallest in London and the EU, with supposedly breathtaking views of the city. It kind of reminds me a bit of Lord of the Rings, don't you think?


Once you are over London Bridge you hang a right at the impressive Southwark Cathedral and you've arrived at Borough Market!


Thankfully it's a covered market because as soon as we got in the skys opened up and it poured!


It's a fairly large market and filled with every food you can imagine. Stacks of fresh veggies.


Juicy mountains of cherries from Spain (I bought a pound and they were the sweetest cherries I've ever had).


There had to be at least 20 different cheese shops all giving out samples. I brought home one cheese, but wanted to bring home all of them!


They had barrels of salty olives.


And HUGE oysters.


The dessert tables were even better. Who doesn't want cookie the size of a dinner plate. And they say Americans have big portions!


The fresh fruit was being chopped up for smoothies and juices. Watermelon has to be my favorite of them all.


Then we came to a MASSIVE duck confit sandwich vendor. I couldn't say no, so I forked over the £5 and enjoyed every bite.



Lastly we passed by a wine shop selling Prosecco Spritzers. Ummm, AMAZING. I'm definitely making these again.


What a great Saturday afternoon. I will definitely be back!


1 comment:

  1. OMG, go back and get the chanterelle mushrooms.. You will never have a better mushroom ever again!

    ReplyDelete